Respected Principal, Vice Principal, Teachers and all my dear friends. A very Good Morning to one and all. Today I am here to speak on the topic ‘POLLUTION’.
Pollution is one of the main problems that our world faces. There are different types of pollution like air pollution, water pollution etc. Pollution means the contamination of air, water, or soil by substances that are harmful to live organisms.
Friends now I would like to draw your attention to one of the most major problems due to which pollution is caused - ‘PLASTIC’. People don’t pay attention to this particular matter. Why? Various awareness campaigns are put up, but still some people are not taking it seriously. The best way by which we can stop using plastic is by following the concept of Reducing, Reusing and Recycling. Yes I am talking about the 3 Rs. I urge every one of you to follow this concept. It was developed by William Russell and Rex Burch in the 1950’s.
So, how does the Earth get polluted? What are the actual causes of pollution? Well let me tell you some of them:
- Smoke and gases (such as carbon dioxide) emitted from burning fuels in vehicles and factories.
- Burning of solid wastes.
- Explosions and firecrackers.
- Volcanic eruptions and forest fires.
- The water gets polluted when pesticides and excess fertilizers from agricultural fields are carried by rainwater to downstream water bodies.
- Liquid and gaseous wastes pollute air and water.
- Also, the addition of untreated chemical wastes from industries and sewage into rivers causes a great problem. We must take the necessary actions and stop polluting our mother earth.
Some of the effects of pollution are:
- It disturbs the balance of gases in the air.
- It damages crops and plant life.
- It adversely impacts birds and animals.
- It leads to harmful diseases such as Asthma and Lung Cancer.
Now let’s discuss some ways by which we can reduce pollution:
- Plant more trees
- Do not burn solid wastes. Instead recycle them whenever possible.
- Reduce the use of cars. Use a bicycle, a carpool, or public transport whenever possible
- Say ‘NO’ to plastic bags.
- Encourage the use of recycled and reusable material
Friends, did you notice one thing? We did not take care of our Mother Earth. So, Mother Earth decided that it was time to take care of herself. This pandemic has made the earth so free from pollution. The Ozone layer is also healing after so many years! Even the dirtiest of the dirty rivers sparkle when the rays of sunshine fall upon it. There is greenery all around us. It is a lesson for all of us. Let us learn from this lesson and try to stop polluting our earth.